Monday, February 11, 2008

Las Vegas Adventures

I would have to say that Las Vegas has been very good to us in the exploring department. You would think the desert wouldn't provide much to do or see but we have had some really great adventures. Just to mention a few, we have hiked Red Rocks national monument inside and out, I have ran through Valley of fire, we have visited many old ghost towns, driven to the edge of the grand canyon, enjoyed the snow at Mount Charleston, gone over the hump to Puhrump, hiked up to many old mines, had picnics near death valley, run up and down some really fun sand dunes, swam at many beaches at Lake Mead, hiked lots of trails near Lake Mojave, and this weekend we visited the Mojave National Preserve. It was fantastic! We first toured through Mitchell cave. It was pretty cool, although it wasn't a very active cave with water it was still really fun to see all the formations and different markings from hundreds of years ago. I will have to admit I am totally claustrophobic and there were a few parts in the cave Bennett had to keep reminding me to breathe. He got a good laugh as I was trying not to hyperventilate. Ashden had a really great time and didn’t even get scared when they turned the lights out. The weather was so beautiful. We then drove over to an area called "hole in the wall". This was the best part of all. We hiked down a canyon and the mountains were so beautiful. The hike was a little crazy, meaning we had to hike down a narrow ridge with ring holds in the mountain. It was a lot of action for baby Mayce in the front carrier but we made it and it was well worth it! Ashden and Bennett were right in there element, hiking up every steep cliff and hanging off rocks. We went with some good friends and we will definitely have to do it again.

Inside the cave



The whole crew


These were the rings we had to climb down... Ashden was a pro!


Check out the Arch at the top

This was the beautiful canyon we hiked down

8 comments:

The Obergs said...

You guys are the action adventure crew! How jealous am I that you were able to wear shorts this weekend. I'm glad you posted the pictures of the rings because I definitely didn't visualize them like that. I can't believe you actually were able to climb down them with little Mayce strapped to your front.

We always like doing things with you guys because Bennett knows how to turn anything into a serious adventure.

P.S. What the heck is the hump of Pahrump?

Anonymous said...

How fun! You always know the place to go to have a great time.

Sammy said...

So fun! that looks so awesome, and its making me want to move to Vegas even more! I love to go hiking and with all the snow and cold, it hasn't happened! So fun, you all look so cute.

c-natalie-l-k-l said...

Fun!!! I'm glad that Ashden was so brave, and that you were able to keep breathing!!! :)

Rachel said...

That looks like a fun family activity. You will have a whole new place to explore when you move.

ps thanks for NOT laughing at my story becka!! j/k (major sarcasm in that comment) I realize it is hard not to, it was just so retarded!

Kallee said...

I'm so jealous! I wish we had that kind of weather here. The fam look so cute. We'll have to tag along on some of your adventures when we get to DC.

Camille said...

Bryan and I went on a walk once, and it was quite an adventure!

Glad you are having so much fun and the kids too! You're amazing to take such fun outings with two little ones. I'm sure they loved it though. Ashden is, afterall, spiderman.

c-natalie-l-k-l said...

I was happy to hear that you're doing so well on your Points!!! That's so great! The whole family here is doing it, so it's nice not to have any temptations in the house!