Ashden and Bennett were good little boys this year and so Santa brought them a Nintendo wii for Christmas. In my mind I envisioned family evenings of bowling or entertaining friends with exciting Olympic games. Just hoping that the wii would give us something fun we could all do as a family. Over all it has been fun, but I am feeling a little left out of the loop as Ashden and Bennett (mostly Ashden) have become over the top obsessed with playing games! The wii has become the newest family member and it is getting all the attention! You know you have a problem when....
1- Ashden woke up the other night saying he was having a nightmare. He told me Mayce was doing a "fast attack" on him. (On Kung Fu Panda if you move the controller in a fast motion it's called a "fast attack" and it attacks what ever it is really fast.) Go Mayce! lol
2- Bennett's mom called a little while ago and wanted to talk to Ashden about preschool and he said " grandma I just want to talk about Zelda" So she kinda laughed and kept asking him about different things and then he got all serious and said " GRANDMA I just want to talk about Zelda."
3- He gets confused about whats reality and whats part of the game. He wants to eat mushrooms hoping they will give him extra lives, he is always looking for star bits, and he gets excited when I give him coins for doing his jobs.
4- He can't stop talking about Mario galaxy. He comes and lays down by me in the mornings when he wakes up. The other day he layed down by me and started talking about Mario and I fell back to sleep for 20 min and he never stopped talking! His teacher at school told me Ashden was very talkative which is very strange because Ashden is usually very shy. So I asked her what he was talking about.... and of course he was talking about Mario galaxy.
5- The second Bennett walks in the door or wakes from asleep Ashden is pulling him down stairs to show him his accomplishments or begging for help to get to the next "lap" that's what he calls the levels.
So where do I draw the line? I am torn on how to regulate this new obsession. When he lays down at night he tells me "mom, I love the wii. I just cant stop playing the games because they are so much fun." He would play the wii the whole entire day and night if I would let him. I am glad he is having fun but the dang kid is obsessed! I have created a monster. What do I do? Any suggestions?

8 comments:
I am glad to see that you're still on blog. I hope you are doing well and enjoying the east.
I don't know what to tell you about wii. We don't have one and I don't want one for awhile because Evan would do the same thing. Sometimes at night he tells me he can't go to sleep because he can't stop thinking about what he's going to do the next day. These five year olds are so funny.
Oh my goodness! He cracks me up that is just hilarious. I have to set rules for Erik too! ha ha jk, but really sometimes when we rent a new game or buy one, thats all he'll do, but I would suggest setting a timer, for like 15 min at a time or whatever, when it goes off, TIMES UP! thats what my sister has to do for her 4 year old. He gets so mad and tries to set the timer back but she hides the remotes so he can't play anymore! I'm not sure! thats hard, but sounds so cute. That is too funny "Fast attack" go Mayce!
Hope that you post some pictures soon! We're missing you guys!
You blogged, your as bad as I am. The Wii, do you blame the kid adults get addicted so how could kids contain their love for the game? Kaden is obsessed with Curious George he could watch it all day and night as well. I make him to chores to be able to watch an episode. He will do anything to watch it. Just look at the Wii as your new favorite work horse. Good luck
ha-ha, this makes me laugh. I knew you were going to run into this situation. You can't get any of the Oberg boys a game console and not expect total submersion. That's why Taylor hasn't gotten a Wii. He has to wait until he's finished with school before we get anything fun like that (he made this rule himself). Best of luck with the little man. I have no tips, but the stories make me laugh, especially how he wants to eat mushrooms to gain extra lives...
I love it! Your mom was saying something about Ashden peeing his pants because he didn't want his guy to die. I about peed my own pants when I heard that....so funny!
I have some boys at my house that are very much the same way, they are older now but I still try to put timer on his game time, (Ryan's) He can be so focused that I swear he could play a game all night and not even realize he went through the whole night. I feel your pain.
What a funny, funny boy!!!! I don't have any suggestions...we're not there yet! :)
If Ashden is anything like Lucas, I'm sure Mayce would love to do a "fast attack" on him! I think Kaitlin is counting down the days until she can control her hands! :)
This is exactly why Nate and I had the discussion over Christmas to get a wii or not. THanks for just demonstrating my point! :)
Post a Comment