Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Ashden's Surgery

Ashden survived! Today he had just a minor surgery on his left ear. When he was a baby he had tubes put in to help with the ear infections. When the tubes fell out the hole in his left ear drum never closed. So today they roughed up the eardrum and put a patch over the hole in hopes that it will help it close. It only works about 50% of the time... so time shall tell. But if it doesn't he will have to wait tell he is like 12 and have a more invasive procedure done, so I really hope this works! Ashden was so brave today. It is so hard to see your child in pain! I was talking to him about what was going to happen. Every time we talked about it he would get really excited like this was going to be fun or something. Last night we read the curious George book about George going to the hospital to have surgery to try and help him understand. I just felt like I wasn't getting through to him because he was so excited to go to the hospital. So as we were preparing for surgery the nurse is taking his blood pressure and vitals he is just grinning from ear to ear. Then they rolled him off and he is waiving and saying " bye mommy" in such a happy sweet voice. Well I then proceeded to the waiting area thinking OK that wasn't so bad. (Remember Bennett is in Peru, so it was just me and Mayce.) Well about 20 min later they call me to recovery where Ashden was waiting for me. That's when the hard part began. Waking up from anesthesia is awful! I felt so bad for him. He was just sobbing and shaking. I wrapped him in a blanket and just held him and he was unresponsive and throwing himself back and forth. I didn't know how to comfort him. This went on for 45 min. It was a very hard experience to see my little Ashden like that. So after 45 min he finally drank some water and we got him dressed and headed for home. The nurses there were very rude and it was just a race to get out of there! He said on the way home " mom that wasn't cool!" I got a good laugh and told him I was sorry. Once we got home he was in a lot of pain for about an hour, and then finally went to sleep. After a two hour nap he woke up and he was ready to go! He acted as if nothing even happened. The rest of the day was spent out side running around and riding his scooter. You would have never known that he had surgery this morning he is completely fine! Kids are so resilient! Although his ear is a bit tender and we have to keep water out of it for 6 weeks, he was such a trooper! We love our little Ashden!

17 comments:

The Yates Family said...

Holy cow! What a trooper. It never ceases to amaze me how resilient kids are. Good for him! I hope everything works out.

Tringali Family said...

I am glad this is over for you guys. Good job on doing it alone.

Unknown said...

I can say personally that, that is never fun. I had the same problems as Ashden. Sorry you had to do that by yourself. YOU, are quite the trooper. Glad it didn't last for very long though.

MaRea Hess said...

I would hate to do that alone, your strong. Do they know how long it will take to know if the surgery took or not? When are you coming to Logan. We were thinking of going to Vegas next weekend. I am sure that is the same weekend your coming to Logan, what luck>

Rachel said...

I am VERY sorry that Bennett wasn't there. I am wondering how you were handling Mayce when you were comforting Ashden. major multi-tasker wonder mom! We will see you soon!
glad everything went well and that it is over. That anticipation (for the parents anyway) is often the hardest part.

Sammy said...

Oh my goodness! I didn't even know when this was happening! We will have to give him a call tonight. He is such a trooper, Way to go Ashden! I got teary just thinking about that, and laughed at "that was not cool" poor guy, he didn't know what was in store for him. He's so brave. Give him a hug and kiss for me and Erik.

Becka and Bennett said...

Marea- we will find out in 6 weeks if it will take or not. As for what I did with Mayce She was the sweetest thing and slept most of the time. So thank goodness she did- it could have been a nightmare!

Garmire's said...

I'm glad that everything went good. You have good kids!

Lisa said...

Wow, I was crying reading this post. How tramatic (for you), since Ashden seems to be fine now :) I hate when my kids are in pain, you always wish it was you going through it and not them!

The Obergs said...

What a trooper! I think it's cute that he was so excited for his hospital stay, he probably won't be that happy about going to the hospital anymore. I'm glad that it's over, hopefully his 7-day checkup goes great so that you can come up.

By the way, you should totally do the mini triathalon with me. I don't think it's going to be terrible and if I think that I can do it, then you could definitely do it. It's only 10 bucks to register so let me know, it will be awesome!

Donene said...

You are a great Mom Becca! I worked with your Dad today and he said that the nurses weren't very nice, I'm sorry. Too bad you could not have done the surgery here, I think our nurses are much nicer. Yes we went through many surgeries with Mel eventually having to have a graft put in so I know it is not too fun. Anesthesia is always hard for kids to come out of. I asked one of my kids later why they were crying and screaming so much and they told me it was because they couldn't see. They could hear me talking but they couldn'w see anything even though their eyes were opened and that was very scary for a little kid. Glad he is doing well.

Ashlee said...

oh becka, the coming out of anesthesia sounded horrible! i can't believe how resilient kids are either, i think it hurts me worse than them sometimes!!

The Wynn Family said...

You are the trooper! Heck I would have to say your the super mom, surgery with two kids, and a husband in peru. Wow!

c-natalie-l-k-l said...

I'm glad that it mostly went okay!! He seems to be doing great now! You are a great mom!!! So patient!

Meghan said...

Hi Becka! I found your blog through Danielle's blog. It's really cute. I'm glad Ashden handled his surgery well. You are really brave for doing it all alone!
By the way, I started a blog to keep in touch when we all move:
megandherboys.blogspot.com

Camille said...

Becka, it was so great to see you and Ashden and Mayce last Saturday, so nice of you to stop by. We are praying every night that Ashden's ear will heal and respond perfectly to the surgery. We love you guys and wish we could be up there with you!

Seegmiller Six said...

I hope that it works for Ashden! What a pain - I hate having to watch kids go through things like that. I rememeber all too well waiting for andrew to come out of each of his surgeries. I'm glad he was too young to remember - sounds like ashden is quite a brave little guy though!